Saturday, September 18, 2010

I love Homeschooling :D

Hi! This week has been great! We finally started homeschooling again... and I love it! School starts late in our corner of the planet, and our family started a week later than the public schoolers... but we're finally started and I am loving it! :D

The kids are older and more independent self starters than when they were younger; I am loving it! :D One of the boys (Dausen) is being a great example to his brothers by jumping onto his studies the instant he gets home from early morning seminary. He gets his required studies done early, and has plenty of time to work on his own personal electives (Photo Shop, pencil drawing, and guitar). I'm really very happy for him! I've said it before and I'll say it again... this boy is every homeschooling mother's dream child! Oh, but I have one of those challenging homschoolers, too... who wonders why any of it is important; and I really have to stay on top of things with him. I love the opportunity for balance these boys provide me! I thrive on accomplishing things - which just isn't possible without challenge... so I love what this challenging kid does for me!

Another thing I love about homeschooling right now is watching my kids enjoy family time more again. They have gone from being completely hungry for more time with friends (though they had it constantly all summer long), to wanting more time with the family again. And the more time we spend together as a family, the better behaved they are and the more they love each other. I'm amazed at how instantly I see small positive changes when our family gets back to spending quality, quantity, time together. I love it! :D Homeschooling is such a blessing to us.

This coming week our studies will increase, as we will be adding another subject as well as time out of the house to get some PE in. I'm looking forward to this time with my boys. I think they are going to really love it! We will probably spend much of our PE time swimming. The twins are incredible swimmers, so I want them to keep it up. I think I'll get them into Life Guard training so they can be life guards for work next summer if they choose to. The youngest really needs to swim more... it isn't yet a strength for him so this will be extra good for him. I hate to admit it, but it will be good for me too. :O

PS Miles is taking an active approach to being involved in homeschooling this year. Yeah! He's pretty much taking over the mentoring on Fridays. Yesterday he took the boys to a couple of fish hatcheries and to the Cabinet Gorge Dam (photos correspond...). He is teaching them Geography, Marine Biology, Earth Science, and some other aspects of Social Studies. I'm excited for the fun hands on learning and bonding time the boys will have with their dad each week. :D Our plans for this coming year are going to be so much fun to bring into reality!

PPS I still plan to write a page about each of my kids. Hopefully I will add them by the end of this month (1 down, 3 to go).

TTFN! :D
Corine




Stop looking here if you don't want to see a decayed frog... "boys stuff" to follow:

 



8 comments:

  1. I only have one home this year. My boy who is in Junior High. I so miss the homeschooling years. Wishing badly that my health was such that I could bring my kids back home.

    Glad you are able to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel - I didn't know you homeschooled your kids; no wonder they are so awesome. ;) How much homeschooling have you done? I pray that your health improves and am so sorry for your struggles and am sorry that you haven't been able to continue. But you know... just one year of homeschooling makes them 5 years nicer and smarter... so it's OK that they didn't get to do it to the end. ;)I know things work out the way they do for a reason and Heavenly Father is mindful of you and your kids.

    Thanks so much for stopping by! I really LOVE hearing from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have children but I applaud those of you whom have chosen to educate this way. I wish my Mom had had this choice. :)

    I love the decayed frog, by the way :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jules - Thanks for your applauding comment. :) And bty., I think it is cool that you like the decayed frog. LOL! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the upbeat and enthusiastic words! I love it. And my last child is a lot more work. I am envious a bit. He comes home from early morn seminary and it takes too long for him to get started...and finished.

    I was gone the last week for my anniversary and he had to start three k12 classes on his own. not so good, so we have lots to do. That and we had a funeral. I am hoping we can get going tomorrow.

    Love the mummified froggie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary Deila! It's great that you got to get out with your husband.

    BTY - I'm so glad you enjoyed my enthusiasm... :) Honestly though, in reference to being a tad bit envious... are you forgetting that I was speaking of only ONE of my boys getting right to his studies (though I think it may happen with all of them soon)? ;) There is never anything to be envious of. We all have our own set of challenges as well as blessings. Stay positive and remember that these kids are amazing, and anything can happen. Then patiently and with total faith, enjoy the ride regardless of how quickly or slowly things improve. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Corine- I homeschooled during my high school years and loved it! It sounds like you are having lots of dventures.

    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Natasha... :D It is so cool to see a new face here on my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

    Homeschooling is an adventure... isn't it? Have you written anything about your homeschooling adventures? I would love to read about them if you have. I think I will look some up! :D

    Have a great day, and come on back anytime! ;D

    Corine

    ReplyDelete

There is a ripple effect in all that we do; what you do touches me, what I do touches you...

THANK YOU for your comments; you add so much insight and brighten my day! :)