Saturday, August 11, 2012

My First Olympic Triathlon! :D

Click on my number for race results...
Hi! :D

Today I participated in my first Olympic distance triathlon! I have only been training for this for a short time so I have to remember that when comparing myself to the top racers (I started running in March of "11, but began learning to swim with my face in the water 5 months ago, and began biking again two months ago). Considering this - I am happy with the results! :)

I have a couple of friends who have (at my request) been praying for me concerning the triathlon I did today. This post is a letter to them as well as to the rest of you who are interested in how things went today...
Thank you for your prayers, they were answered! (Especially the one about not having problems swimming in the crowd. ;0)
About the crowds... I didn't have to worry about the crowds for the swim at all! :o I was doing what I do best (socializing) when I said goodbye to a couple people so they could catch their wave. I decided to go get a drink of water and get back on time for my wave 10 minutes later.
As I walked back to my water bottle I decided that as thirsty as I was, I should watch the current wave go so I can see what the start is like with 200 people and decide if I wanted to just wait a minute to start behind the rest of the wave. By the time I got to the beach everyone was out there swimming full force and I didn't notice anyone swimming over the tops of anyone else. But , something else caught my attention... NO ONE ON THE BEACH HAD A CAP THE SAME COLOR THAT I HAD! AHHHH! Only I would do this - and I seem to make sure to do something like this with this blond head of mine regularly!!! Long story short, I had a TON of room before me, with NO ONE in the water around me; it took a while to catch up with part of the crowd... :o
Despite the several minute delay, I had a blast swimming! :D 
And I had a blast biking (it was quite fun passing people when we went up hills - despite the fact that some caught up with me on the flats)! :D  
I'm not sure if I can say the run was a "Blast" but I had fun socializing some more and encouraging people who were struggling. One man told me I was "way too happy for this!" I passed him and saw him again after turning around and just before finishing the race. He then hollered out to me, "And you're still  smiling! ;)" Yeah... I think even the run was a blast! :)
My time was nothing to write home about (though to tell you the truth, I don't actually know what it is yet exactly - but think it was just under 3 hours); however, I gave it a good effort and felt really good about that. I earned my first professional massage, and a nap, and took both of them with gratitude and gladness! :D

Now, I hope all is well with you. As for me, it is time to go catch another nap before getting together with friends tonight... :)
 Hugs...
Corine :D

PS. I just remembered a favorite video I would love to share with you. Here is a story of a man who DOES have something to write home to family about! Enjoy! :D

2 comments:

  1. Are You Serious? You are amazing, and one day I want to be just like you :) One day I WILL get back into tri's and do an olympic (maybe I am scared as heck to swim in open water) Maybe I can find a olympic tri in a pool :)

    Anyway, good job! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kendra! :D Thanks for your awesome comment! :) Sorry it took me so long to respond. I think it's great that you're thinking of doing an Olympic; you'll love it! And as far as open water goes - the fear will go completely away as you get used to swimming out there; and it is WAY funner than pool swimming! In fact, I don't think I would like to do a triathlon in a pool. That sounds BORING! There are no fish or rocks or anything else to look at while you swim in a pool! :o lol I hope you give lake swimming a try. :)
    Corine :D

    ReplyDelete

There is a ripple effect in all that we do; what you do touches me, what I do touches you...

THANK YOU for your comments; you add so much insight and brighten my day! :)